How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7672
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

please can you help my friend wants to travel to the uk from

This answer was rated:

please can you help my friend wants to travel to the uk from russia to meet me she has a valid travel ticket but there is a problem with her visa she has been told that she has to have entrance money her visa is for 92 days she will only be in the uk for three weeks and she has been told that she must have £39 per day for the length of her visa 92 days £3588 in cash or no visa will be issued she will have no cost when here she will stay with me in my appartment we will travel around so i can show her the uk all at my cost not hers and if she needs any thing i will pay for it so why the £39 per day charge she cannot aford that amount of money nore can i i have aproxx £3000 pounds available for when she visits to pay for any extra costs what should we do

Thanks for your question.

How long have you known your friend for please?

Has she already applied for her visa please?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have KNOWEN her for about two and a half months and yes she has applied already for her visa it was all done at the same time when at the travel agency for her flight tickets witch she pick up today and I have a photo copy of as well as her pass port


Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

If she has already submitted her visa application and the supporting documentation with it then she is not going to be able to do anything about it now.

The eligibility criteria for a visitor's visa is as follow, is that you need to show that:-
• You want to visit the UK for no more than six months;
• You intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit;
• You have enough money to support yourself during your stay in the UK without working or needing help from public funds

You will note the third criteria relates to money. There is no set per-day or per-month amount which a person has to show. It depends very much on a person’s circumstances.

For example, if a person was going to stay with a UK citizen who owned a property in the UK and they were able to show this in their visa application then the amount of money required would be dramatically decreased compared to a person who had to pay for accommodation.

If she was coming to the UK for 3 months and did not submit evidence of her ability to stay with you then she would need to show an amount of around £3000.00 though.

I note that the question refers to “entrance money”. If a person has already been issued a visa (I note you say that she has not) a visa from the Home Office then they do not need to physically carry all their money with them when they travel. The money side is checked at the time at which the Home Office decides her visa application. This is often a scam which people use to get money out of people who don’t know the rules.

I would also caution – and please don’t be offended – that there are a number of scam operating at the moment, quite a few are in Russia. They operate by finding UK citizen men online and befriending them over a period of months. They arrange to apply for a visa and say they need money to come here. The UK citizen transfers the money and the person ceases contact. You have to be VERY wary of this if you suspect that it applies to you.

However, if she has not submitted her application and you are convinced of her credibility and you will assist her during the intended stay you should go to a local solicitor to draft a sponsorship declaration in which you state the terms of the visit, that you are to return at the end of it, that although you are in a relationship with her you both know that she MUST leave at the end of the visit because it would harm the chances of any future application made to secure leave to remain on the basis of that relationship, that you shall accommodate you and shall pay the costs of any unforeseen expenses that should occur during his stay so that nether of you will need to access public funds.

This should cost around £50+vat and you can find immigration solicitors via:-

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you