How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My partner, a Pakistani national, has received a residence

Customer Question

My partner, a Pakistani national, has received a residence permit for 2 and a half years (after almost 4 years pursuing the case with the Home Office).

However, he came into the UK via an agent and therefore has no formal identification i.e passport or National Identity Card. How does he go about obtaining a passport and ID card from the Pakistani Embassy as they are not being helpful and without a passport we cannot get married, he cannot obtain a National Insurance number, etc.

We are awaiting return of his Pakistani birth certificate from the Home Office.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Your Partner should contact a local Pakistani lawyer back home to see what can be done from there as it may be easier to facilitate issue of his passport and ID card from there rather than from here in the UK.

There is not much that a UK lawyer can do as it is a matter for the Pakistani authorities and Pakistan law.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The issue is that he has never had a passport and left Pakistan before obtaining his National ID card. I seem to keep hitting brick walls and not getting anywhere...

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
If he has a Pakistan birth certificate and is a Pakistani national, then he should be able to obtain a Pakistani passport.

If the Pakistan High Commission in the UK cannot help, the best bet is for him to try and get the passport from Pakistan.

He may be able to get a travel document to enable him to travel to Pakistan to apply for his ID and Passport from there

Hope this helps please leave feedback