How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

My mother-in-law has a 5 year uk visitor visa. I understand

This answer was rated:

My mother-in-law has a 5 year uk visitor visa. I understand that she can stay up to 6 month each time when she visits us. She came in January this year and plans to return back to her original country in July. She will be travelling with us to France this weekend in June. I wonder once we return back from France, does it means she can stay for a further 6 month?


Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

I’m afraid not, not.

The condition of a visitor’s visa is that the visitor must not spend more than 6 months in any 12 month period in the UK.

Therefore, if your mother-in-law came in January then she would have to leave on the same day in June.

The earliest time at which she could return to the UK would be 6 months after the day that she leaves. If she attempted to enter before this time she would be refused and it would potentially also put her future proposed entries at risk.

I am sorry, but they are very strict about this.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you