How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7672
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Can I sponsor my sons fiancée from the Philippines to come

This answer was rated:

Can I sponsor my son's fiancée from the Philippines to come to Britain and live with me so they can get married. I earn 37,000 a year my son is 29 and returning to further education part time for the next 2 years so is unable to meet the financial requirements to be her sponsor.

Thanks for your question.

I'm afraid that it is not possible for your son's fiancee to rely on your income. Sponsoring for the purpose of the financial requirement is restricted solely to the sponsor spouse's income and capital.

They are quite strict about this. Generally, the only way that parents can help their children in this regard is to gift them a sum of money in order for it to be used as cash savings. The difficulty is that if the sponsor spouse does not have any income at all then this has to be £62500, which is the minimum threshold amount if relying on cash savings. It also has to be held for 6 months prior to the application.

You can use a mixture of the spouses cash savings and income and you can see from the financial requirement guidance at page 43 onwards.

I'm afraid that a cash gift is your only option in these circumstances, but I appreciate that it's a very poor option.

Until such time as he is able to meet the financial requirement, she will obviously have to apply for visitor's visas.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you