How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am Student in the UK and I have just gone home back to Nigeria

Customer Question

I am Student in the UK and I have just gone home back to Nigeria for summer holiday. I am bisexual and I'm happily in love with a Nigerian guy in the UK, so I have decided to come out of the closet and admit my sexuality to my family and most especially my Dad. However to my uttermost shock he has become disappointed in me, seized his sponsorship, in fact he has threatened to hand me over to the Police (as it is a punishable offence to be gay in Nigeria) and disown me unless I renounce my love for my gay friend. I have only my return ticket and the way it seems the only possible solution now is to seek asylum in the UK when I come back from my holiday but I would like to be honest and want everyone to accept me as who I am.

I would like to know what options I have as things stand now if I am able to claim asylum, would it be okay to seek asylum at point of entry, would I be detained for long because I'd like to reunited with my boyfriend as soon as possible and the fact that my father as refused to sponsor me again I do not have any money again.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

Yes, you may and should claim asylum as soon as you arrive back in the UK, normally by approaching the immigration officer at the airport.

How long you will be held for depends, there is no set answer to this.

I would refer you to the charity, Asylum Aid for further assistance, see here

Hope this helps