How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7661
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Hi, This question is related to the financial requirement

This answer was rated:


This question is related to the 'financial requirement' part of the spouse settlement visa. I have a flat in Dubai in my brother-in-laws name which is worth more than GBP 62500. I was working abroad and didn't have time to travel to Dubai so he bought it for me in his name about two years ago. My salary certificate from the foreign employer shows that I've been earning GBP 30k per year. How can I use these to fulfill the 'financial requirement' part of the visa if we apply now?


Thanks for your question.

Are you the UK citizen spouse and your wife is the foreign national looking to apply for a spouse visa?

Kind regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I'm a UK citizen and my wife is the foreign national looking to apply for a spouse via.



Do you have a job offer in prospect in the UK for employment once you return at above the salary threshold (ie £18600 per annum)?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I don't. Will be living with parents and off savings/investments.

Okay. Excluding the monies tied up in the property in Dubai, how much in cash savings do you have between you and your spouse?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

around GBP 64000


Thanks for your reply.

If it is the case that you have cash savings in excess of £62500.00 which you have held between you for 6 months or more then you meet the financial savings on the basis of cash savings along.

So, if this is the case then you do not need to rely on any element of the monies that you have invested in the property in your brother's name OR any any salary element.

This is good, because if your cash savings were below the threshold level of £62500 then you would not be able to rely on the money invested in the property in your brother's name (these do not constitute cash savings) and you would have to rely on a salary element, which would mean that if you are based outside the UK and are returning then you would have to obtain a job offer and rely on the salary from that job offer.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately we haven't held these savings for last 6 months. If I had a job offer in the UK for GBP 18600 or more (in a different field to my normal field of work), would that work?


Yes. Please refer to the following guidance on the financial requirement:-

I assume that you have been with your current employer outside the UK for longer than 6 months.

You will see at 5.2.1 of page 20 that you can do this if your current salary is above the threshold level and if you have an offer of salaried employment above the £18600 per annum threshold level to start within three months of the date of your wife's spouse visa application.

Kind regards.

Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you