How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7673
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am a UK resident living in the UK since many years In the

This answer was rated:

I am a UK resident living in the UK since many years
In the year 2001 ( Year Two thousan and one )

Now i want to take a British Passport
What is the Procedure i need to follow

Do I have to go through an examination called " LIFE IN THE UK " and and English test
to read and write .


Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

Yes, you will have to do the examination I'm afraid. All persons who wish to become UK citizens do.

If you hold indefinite leave to remain (as you appear to) then you will have to apply for and obtain naturalisation in order to become a UK citizen.

You will need to meet the requirements on the following page in order to be eligible to apply for naturalisation:-

You will have to ensure that you meet the English language requirement (if you have not already met it when you applied for ILR) which is explained here:-

You will also have to pass the “Life in the UK test” before you apply for naturalisation as you a required to show that you have passed the test as part of your application. Details on the test are on the following link:

In particular you should note the residential requirement as to any time you have spent out of the country and make sure that you have not spent over the amount stipulated.

You will have to apply by completing the UKBA’s Form AN

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you