How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

For spouse settlement visa: accommodation requirements. Is

This answer was rated:

For spouse settlement visa: accommodation requirements. Is a 3 bedroomed house (with an unofficial loft conversion) with 2 reception rooms considered adequate for a family of seven: one parent, husband and wife, 3 children under 9 (2 boys and a girl) and husband's brother?

Home Office guidance is as follows

A house is considered to be overcrowded if 2 persons aged 10 years or more of opposite sexes, who are not living together as husband and wife, must sleep in the same room.

Account is taken only of rooms with a floor area larger than 50 square feet and rooms of a type used either as a living room or bedroom.

Rooms such as kitchens or bathrooms are excluded.

Under the Housing Act, the number of people sleeping in accommodation must not exceed the following:

Number of rooms Maximum number of people allowed
1 2
2 3
3 5
4 7.5
5 10
Each additional room in excess of 5 An additional 2 people
For the purpose of the Act:

a child under 1 does not count as a person.
a child aged 1-10 years counts as only half a person.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.



Does the "Housing Inspection Report for Immigration Purposes" state whether the accommodation is overcrowded and does it help with the visa application?

Yes, such a Report is commonly used and it does help with visa applications.

All the best
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you