How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am a 72 year old widow without children. I am a British

This answer was rated:

I am a 72 year old widow without children. I am a British subject. Presently my 34 year old Filipino neice is living with me. She entered the UK in 2009 as a student. As such she works as a part time carer in a local care home. In the 5 year period as a student, she obtained a master's degree in Business Administration. Her student visa expires in October 2014. I would like to get Home Office permission to adopt her legally so that I have a family member living with me at home especially at night. What action should I take to obtain permission from the Home Office to allow her to stay in the UK when her visa ends? My neice is single and has a degree in Engineering from the Philippines.


I am afraid you cannot adopt her as she is an adult and over 18.

She may look for sponsorship as a tier 2 worker if she wishes to continue living in the UK, but she will need to qualify in her own right, you cannot sponsor her.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

And what is tier 2 worker?

It is a work permit which allows her to work in the UK if she finds an employer who can sponsor her for the permit, see here

All the best, ***** ***** feedback
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you