How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My mother (87 years old) was granted a settlement visa to join

This answer was rated:

My mother (87 years old) was granted a settlement visa to join me and the Indefinite Leave to enter in 2010.

Her Visa expires in September 2014 because her passport expires. She is not going to travel anywhere. We are taking care of her. Do we need to apply for an extension of the visa?

The good news is that as soon as she entered the UK, her indefinite leave to enter visa became an indefinite leave to remain visa, so there is no need to apply for any extension for her.

If she receives a new passport, all that needs to be done is for the old passport with the ILE visa to be carried or stapled together with the new passport.

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I understood you correctly we actually don't need to do anything as my mother practically has got an ILR though there is an expiry date of her Visa in the passport.

Yes, correct. The expiry date is simply linked to the expiry date of the passport but her indefinite leave to remain continues....indefinitely. It would only be lost if she left the UK for more than 2 years.

All the best
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you