How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I have indefinite leave to remain in the UK. I have been issued

This answer was rated:

I have indefinite leave to remain in the UK. I have been issued with a biometric card. Do I still have to apply for a certificate of entitlement in order to have dual citizenship? Or can Use the indefinite leave to remain when applying to South African consulate?

Indefinite leave to remain in the UK is not the same as having British Citizenship so you are not a British Citizen yet.

You are required to obtain a document from the Home Office confirming that you have not yet obtained British Citizenship, you need to do this using form NQ, see here:

Once you receive this document, you may apply to the South African High Commission for retention of your SA citizenship, see here for the process:

After your application for retention of SA citizenship is approved, you may apply for British Citizenship.

Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you