How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi ,my wife is Polish British and we been married for 4 years

This answer was rated:

Hi ,my wife is Polish British and we been married for 4 years now.when we applied she had a polish passport only and I got 5 years residence from home office .now as she has a British passport for almost 2 years can I apply for ILR ?
many thanks

You will not be eligible for indefinite leave to remain if you apply now.

After 5 years in the UK on your residence card, you will become a permanent resident automatically and you will be eligible to apply for British Citizenship immediately you become a permanent resident.

My advise would be for you to apply for British Citizenship just before your residence card expires next year. Your application will be under S. 6(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981 on the basis of you being a spouse of a British citizen and having permanent residency at the time you apply.

May I help further?

UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you