How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi.thanks for you advice about my case ,I just want to ask

This answer was rated:

Hi.thanks for you advice about my case ,I just want to ask you how I apply for British passport with my 5 years residence without applying for ILR and do I have to apply with a solicitor or by my self and which application I need for this .please can help with more details as I need to know more about the steps I need to follow.
many thanks
Hello again,

Yes, it would be advisable to get a solicitor to assist you with any applications to the Home Office.

You would qualify for Permanent Residency (PR) automatically (you do not need to apply for a PR card but you may do so, it as optional) after 5 years in the UK subject to the following conditions:

You can apply for a permanent residence card after you’ve lived in the UK for 5 years. This will prove your right to live in the UK permanently.

All the following must apply for you to be eligible:

  • you’ve lived with your European Economic Area (EEA) family member in the UK for a continuous 5 year period (and not left the UK for more than 6 months in any year)
  • your EEA family member has been a worker, self-employed, self-sufficient, or student throughout the 5 years

The above appears here:

In your case, as your partner obtained british nationality afterwards, you may scontinue on the EEA route as above.

At the point that you obtain PR by law, you would be eligible to apply for British Citizenship straight away without any waiting period as you would be married to a British Citizen and would have lived in the UK for more than 3 years.

Hope this clarifies

UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you