How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hello there. I have been with my asylum seeker boyfriend

Customer Question

Hello there.
I have been with my asylum seeker boyfriend for 3 years. A year ago he was given 5 years leave. What options are there for marriage in the future?
I am a UK citizen from birth and have a full time job/savings. His level of English is almost fluent, he works, and is studying for a degree at a UK university.
Many thanks
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
You are both free to marry each other in the UK as he has a 5 years residency visa.

You will both need to give notice to marry at a designated registry, see here

Hope this helps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does that mean he will be able to stay in the UK after his 5 yr residency has finished then? and will he be able to apply for UK citizenship? Many thanks for your help

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Please open new questions for your additional questions.