How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7675
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am a mauritian citizen married

This answer was rated:

Hello my name is ***** *****
I am a mauritian citizen married to an Italian Citizen sin Feb 2008.
I have a eeu dependant spouse visa which expires on the 1st Sept 2014
I would like to know what are my options now:
Can I apply for british citizenship?
Do I need permanent residency first?
Basically, what do i need to do? What documents do I need to submit?
Which forms do I need to fill in?
How much does it cost?
How long does it take?
thanks a lot
I'm waiting for your reply
Thanks for your question.
If you have been in the UK for 5 years on your EEA residence card then you must first apply for confirmation of your Permanent Residence status. Technically, you might actually have it already but you should apply for confirmation of it because if you have not already got it then your application for naturalisation will be rejected and you will lose the very expensive application fee.
You need to apply for PR by Form EEA 4:-
The fee is £55 as confirmed here:-
You will see that the documents required generally are contained on the application form for PR
Once you have PR and have held it for 12 months you can apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen provided that you meet the requirements on the following page:-
Once you have your certificate of naturalisation you can apply for a UK passport.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you