How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi there, I am Chinese wife of UK citizen. he also has Greek

Customer Question

Hi there,
I am Chinese wife of UK citizen. he also has Greek resident card.
I have 5 year Greek resident card valid till Sept. 2015.
I also have new UK resident card 5 years till Dec 2018.
UK as the family member of an EEA national.
Greek is as Family member of a Union citizen.
I wish to travel alone to Italy for 1/2 weeks. I will have ample money and travel insurance plus an invite from friends to stay in their villa. They are Russian.
As the Greek Card is from a schengen member am i free to enter Italy without my husband.?
Do I need a Visa as my Greek resident card is
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

As you have a Greek residence card and are travelling to Italy, you should be travelling with your husband or going to Italy to join him there.

Please see here for confirmation of this

However, in practice, you may be allowed to enter Italy even though your husband is not travelling with you or you are not going to join him there.

The safest thing would be to ask the Italian embassy in London for a visa.

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank ..but I already looked at this web site for ansers and I got this they do not say you have to be together..etc.. But you possibly are correct.. we will go to the Italian embassy on Monday and if you are correct will settle up..thanks for prompt reply..I needed to know if I had to go to not as I leave for Italy on saturday !! so not much time..

Visa exemptions

Your non-EU spouse, (grand)children or (grand)parents do not need to get a visa from the country they are travelling to if:

  • They have a residence permit or visa from another country in the border-freeSchengen area (see list below) and the country they are travelling to belongs to that area.

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
See the Italian Embassy in London website here which says you need a visa if you are travelling alone.

Good luck on Monday and please do let me know what the Italian Embassy says.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi again,

we cannot get an appointment till Thursday at Visa centre..


Do you have a definite answer ..not off internet but from your own knowledge please..and experience..


I note you are a qualified immigration lawyer.. ?


Can you confirm you are approved in UK..


I would like to act 100% on your legal advice..and not wait till Thursday. I am suposed to leave on Saturday.


thanks you..

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have now been told by Vias agency that travelling on a Greek resident permit Ling can travel alone in the schengen area ..!!


We are still going to our appointment on Thursday i will vote you after.


At this very moment it looks like you were not correct..but I want it from the horse mouth so to speak. Very very confusing..!!




Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have now discovered this. I think you are incorrect I am afraid ! I am waiting final answer from Schengen help desk.

Passport/Visa requirements

If you are a non-EU national wishing to visit or travel within the EU, you will need a passport:

  • valid for at least 3 months after the date you intend to leave the EU country you are visiting,

  • which was issued within the previous 10 years,

and possibly a visa. Apply for a visa from the consulate or embassy of the country you are visiting. If your visa is from a "Schengen area" country, it automatically allows you to travel to the other Schengen countries as well. If you have a valid residence permit from one of those Schengen countries, it is equivalent to a visa.