How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7676
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Can a Russian person that is married but live separate lives

This answer was rated:

Can a Russian person that is married but live separate lives and they are going back to Russia for an indefinite period of time be legal, they have 2 years left on there indefinite papers
Thanks for your question.
Just to clarify: has the person received indefinite leave to remain?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes and has 2 yrs left on certificate
Thanks. Drafting your answer now. 5 mins please.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If a person has obtained ILR then they are expected to live permanently in the UK afterwards until they naturalise as a UK citizen. If they naturalise as a UK citizen and obtain a UK passport then they can live wherever they want and return to the UK at will.
If a person who holds ILR moves outside of the UK, lives there for a bit and then decides to return to the UK within 2 years of when they left then they will usually be allowed to do so provided they can show that they held ILR when they left, are returning to the UK to live permanently and were not given public funds to leave the UK previously. Confirmation here:-
However, if a person who has ILR moves outside of the UK and lives there permanently for more than 2 years then the home office will curtail their ILR. If this happens and the person wishes to return to the UK then they are required to apply for a returning residents visa. The webpage on this is here:-
So, basically the person is probably fine to leave the UK and work outside the UK for two years provided that they hold ILR.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and 2 other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you