How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 103356
Experience:  US immigration attorney licensed in state and federal court.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now

I am a British citizen. My son is an documented person, has

This answer was rated:

I am a British citizen. My son is an documented person, has lived with an American woman over 14 yrs, now in Portland. They got married last year but the marriage did not last. He is now homeless and his belongings were stolen along with his British passport , money, therefore he has no ID on him. He has developed mental illness over the years along with addiction to alcohol. Now his mental health has deteriorated, he is living rough and at risk of self harm and harmed by others. He needs to come home urgently. He is not a political person, never had any interests, he has no criminal records back home .He needs to come home as soon as possible. Please help me to bring him back home. Please HELP HIM TO COME HOME.
Hello friend. My name is ***** ***** welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply.
I am very sorry for your son's situation.
1) Your son is not going to be "tortured" by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). He may fear this due to his mental illness, but it is simply not true.
2) If your son wants to come home, all he has to do is go home. US authorities would not stop him, although they may note that he has overstayed his visa. However, voluntary self-removal is encouraged for visitors who have overstayed their visa.
3) What he wants to do is go to the nearest British Embassy/Consulate in the area nearest to him. If you need help finding one, REPLY and let me know. The staff should be able to arrange a one-way ticket for him (likely, he would have to repay it once he is back home) to help him get back to UK safety if he explains he is in dire straights. They would also be able to provide him with a copy of UK travel papers. You can also purchase the ticket for him after he gets his papers. So it depends on how far the UK staff will go to help, but they are good at helping British expats repatriate back to UK if the British expats have issues such as no money or no papers.
4) Once this happens, he simply goes to the airport and gets on a flight home.
If you are telling me this would be impossible to do due to his illness, he would need persuasion or even possibly authority intervention to have this happen, there are ways to do this - REPLY and let me know if you need to go this route.
Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the reply button to keep chatting, or please rate and submit your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Ely and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you ever so much with the information. I am afraid that he will do anything on his own --he needs may be intervention by the authority. Please advise if that is easy to do.

Thank you again.

Thank you for your reply.
What someone in your situation may wish to do is to have a trusted individual where he is file for adult guardianship. Adult guardianship is a suit in essence, which has the guardian take power of the ward much like a parent of a child. See here for a good FAQ and here for a lengthy overview.
The guardian can be you if you are willing to come to the USA, or someone else. If the Court approves the guardianship, the ward can be made to get the help he needs under the guardian's control and to come home as needed.
Counsel is recommended for this. May I recommend the Oregon Bar referral program - here. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP.
Guardianship is meant for a long time, but nothing states that a guardian cannot send the ward to the UK, provided that it is in their best interest and if the Court agrees.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use the reply button to keep chatting, or rate positively and submit your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
Thank you for your gratuity.