How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My girlfriend was born in Singapore in 1957 whilst it was still

This answer was rated:

My girlfriend was born in Singapore in 1957 whilst it was still a British colony. She lived there for 32 years before moving to the USA where she is now a citizen of that country. Her parents were Portuguese/Indian and were Singapore citizens, her mother still lives there after over 80 years. Can she apply for a UK visa under the British Colony/Commonwealth arrangement that was in force until 1959?
How long does she intend to come to the UK for and for what purpose please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She intends to live here with me and we will eventually get married.

Thank you.
Unfortunately she does not qualify for a UK visa from her background but she will qualify for a UK fiancée visa if you sponsor her for such a visa to enable her to come to the UK as your fiancée, marry you here and then switch to a spouse visa.
See here for information on the fiancée visa
Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you