How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7672
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Hello, I am a british citizen. I currently work and live

This answer was rated:

I am a british citizen. I currently work and live abroad . My wife lives abroad with me as well. Is there a procedure of getting my wife a British citizenship given that she lives abroad ?
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If the non-UK wife is living abroad with a UK husband then there is no provision or route whilst living abroad which allows them to qualify for UK citizenship I’m afraid, unless they are already eligible by virtue of their own independent ancestry.
The only route for any such wife to obtain UK citizenship is to come to the UK with their husband on a Spouse Visa:-
They must then live here for a period of 5 years with their husband (extending their visa once) before then applying for “indefinite leave to remain”, which is the right to stay permanently in the UK without any visas and independent of the husband.
Once the wife has obtained ILR she can then apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen providing that they meet the following criteria:-
Once she has received her certificate of naturalisation she can apply for a UK passport.
This is the only way that a wife can obtain UK citizenship I’m afraid. There is no flexibility at all here.
I am sorry that I could not have better news for you.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you