How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7661
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I started studying in the UK in 2007 and was wondering whether

This answer was rated:

I started studying in the UK in 2007 and was wondering whether when I finish in 2017 my degree, if it is possible for me to apply for the naturalisation for the citizenship. My degree is a 4 year degree with an Industrial Placement so I might be working for a year. I was wondering if that would still count towards my citizenship 10 years or does it all have to be studying? many thanks
Thanks for your patience.
You cannot apply to naturalise once you have been in the UK for ten years, but you can apply for indefinite leave to remain once you have been in the UK legally for 10 years. All applicants who apply for naturalisation must have ILR first.
It does not matter that you won't have been studying for the whole ten years, the requirement under the long residence rules is simply that you have legally been in the the UK for ten years without any gaps in your visas during the ten year period. So, you can apply for ILR in 2017.
Once you have obtained ILR you can then wait a further 12 months until you have held ILR for a year in total and then apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen provided that you meet the requirements on the following page:-
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you