How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7661
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I was born in the uk, I hold a uk passport. I married in June

This answer was rated:

I was born in the uk, I hold a uk passport. I married in June here in the Czech Republic - it was a complicated and lengthy process. Our baby was delivered on 7th August 2014. Because my wife is Czech and her family live here, we decided to have the baby born in Prague, Czech Republic. I now wish to obtain a British passport for my son and also for my wife. Are they eligible and please advise how do I proceed? is there an assistance service. thanks
Thanks for your question.
What is your date of birth please?
Where and when (approximately) were your parents born?
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tom

I was born in London on 8th July 1952 - my parents 1923/24, both in London

kind regards


Hi Ian
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
Your child automatically qualifies for UK citizenship under the British Nationality Act.
This is because you were born in the UK before 1983 and are therefore a UK citizen otherwise than by descent. This means that you can pass on your citizenship to such of your children that are born outside the UK under section 2(1) of the British Nationality Act 1981:-
You can simply apply for her passport in the normal way that a parent does.
Your wife is an EEA member state national so is able to live here under EEA rules. However, in order to obtain UK citizenship she would have to remain here working/studying or otherwise by being self-sufficient for a period of 5 years. Once she has done this she can apply for Permanent Residence:-
Once she has obtained PR she can apply for naturalisation as a UK citizen married to a UK citizen if she meets the requirements on the following page:
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you