How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cityguru Your Own Question
cityguru, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 13329
Experience:  Approved Immigration Expert.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
cityguru is online now

I am an American living in the U.K. I have an indefinite stamp

This answer was rated:

I am an American living in the U.K. I have an indefinite stamp in my expired passport. I am currently applying for a job in the U.K. The employer will not employ me unless the stamp is transferred to my new passport. I have worked in the U.K. for at least 20 years prior to taking a break to raise a family.
What should I do to transfer my indefinite stamp to my new passport?
Lisa ***** *****
Hi Lisa thank you for your question. The first thing to say is that for travel purposes it is not ( and has never been) a requirement that you transfer your indefinite leave to remain to the new passport and it is sufficient that you produce your expired passport with the stamp when it is necessary along with your current passport. Unfortunately the rules about identifying when an employee is eligible to work require that your visa is in a current passport or in a residence permit.
You will find the information you need on this page in the government website:
You will see from this that you can no longer apply to transfer a visa to a new passport if you are resident in the uK. You have to apply for a biometric residence permit. Obviously as you now know you filed the wrong application for further leave application for a residence permit.
Let me know if I can clarify anything further
cityguru and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you