How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7661
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I was born and brought up in UK for over 20 years. My husband

This answer was rated:

I was born and brought up in UK for over 20 years. My husband is Uruguayan and my son was born in Uruguay. He was born on 02/08/2013. If I bring him to UK using his Uruguayan passport can I apply for a British passport for him while he is visiting grandparents .
Thanks for your question.
What is your date of birth?
Are you a UK citizen?
Where and when (approximately) were your parents born?
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dob 14/11/1979. I am a british citizen born in Edinburgh Scotland UK.My mother was born in Edinburgh on 5/7/1948 and my father in Ruislip Middlesex on 12/8/1946.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
You are a UK citizen otherwise than by descent due to the fact that you were born in the UK before 1983. This means that you can automatically pass on your citizenship to your child if they were born outside the UK under s of the British Nationality Act.
This means that your son can apply for a UK passport, or rather you can on his behalf.
You can attempt to do this whilst you are in the UK on a visit, there is nothing legally preventing you from doing so but I would caution that applying for a child’s passport for the first time is one of the more complicated applications and particularly if he is born outside the UK. The practical difficulty will come if the application is not decided quickly enough in order to return the original documents that you submit and his passport to you.
Frankly, unless you are coming to the UK for 5-6 months then I would play it safe, have the holiday in the UK and then apply for a passport from Uruguay once you have returned there.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you