How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7660
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am an Englishman of 74years, and obviously live in England,

This answer was rated:

I am an Englishman of 74years, and obviously live in England, I have met a lady that lives in Paris France, we are very much in Love, and I want her to come to England, to live and marry me, are there any restrictions, against us we are not criminals and never will be, we are both Christians. Yours Sincerely D.Wilton.
Thanks for your question. I'm Tom, I'll try and help you with this.
Can you please confirm the nationality of your fiance?
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If your partner is a French citizen holding a French passport then there are no restrictions on here doing this.
French citizens are European Member State nationals, this means that they can exercise EEA treaty rights within other European Member States (such as the UK). So, all French citizens can come to the UK to exercise their treaty rights by either working, studying, retiring or otherwise by being self-sufficient (ie. living here without being a burden on the state due to benefits.
So, she will be able to come here and the marry you. You will both have to prove your identities and addresses in the same way that any couple, regardless of nationality, has to do if marrying in the UK but this should not be a problem after she has lived here for a bit.
Once married she does not need to do anything else in terms of staying here immediately. However, once she has been in the UK living here for 5 years she can apply for confirmation of her Permanent Residence, which is the right to stay here even if she is not exercising treaty rights. Info on how she can apply here:-
It would be much more complicated if she was a non-EEA citizen, but as she is not it is really straight forward.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you