How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Can parents withheld information that you need to apply for

Customer Question

Can parents withheld information that you need to apply for a British passport?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well basically, I am trying to apply for a British passport, in order for me to be able to obtain my passport I need proof that my parents were eligible to be in the UK at the time of my birth as they were both born outside the UK. I don't really see my family a lot for personal reasons but I got in touch with both of my parents and my mother has over the years lost the necessary evidence I need to apply for mine but my father who has a British passport and all I need is the number of his passport to apply for mine is refusing to give it to me. I have my birth certificate and their marriage certificate and all I need is my fathers passport number to complete my application but what can I do if he is refusing? I have emailed many different departments of the home office and the minister of immigration explaining my situation and all I have been told is if I don't have the documents to prove my eligibility then I pretty much have to go through naturalisation to obtain it. I have explained that I have lived in the UK all my life and have recently started a family and would like to be able to take my child abroad but it doesn't seem possible at the moment. Also I know my sister has a British passport too as my parents applied for hers when we were younger but unfortunately not mine which has now put me in this predicament. So I just need some advice on what to do.

Thank you.

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
When were you born?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

November 1989

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.
Unfortunately you cannot force your parents to disclose their personal information so the Short answer to your question is yes, they may do so.
However, you may go ahead with your application for a British Passport including all the details that you are able to on the form and explain in a covering letter why you do not have all the information and that your sister is British and enclose a copy of her passport if she is willing to let you have this copy as the Passport Office may be able to get your parents information from your sisters records.
If you are already British, naturalisation is not an option.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My sister isn't willing to help me either. I have already applied with the information that I do have and it wasn't enough even though I fully explained my situation. So if I can't go through naturalisation, then how do I go forward?

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
You may apply to the Home Office for a nationality status letter in that case, using form NS, see here
If your nationality is confirmed as British, you may then apply for a passport on the strength of that confirmation.
All the best, ***** ***** feedback
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've already looked at this form and I haven't been told anything different to advice I have already been given for free, so would like my money refunded.