How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12193
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I was convicted of theft in 2001 and served a prison sentence,

This answer was rated:

I was convicted of theft in 2001 and served a prison sentence, since my release I have turned my life around, I'm now married with children and have held down a good job for 13 yrs. I local man is now bad mouthing me too people in my village and not being very nice about my past. Please can you tell me is this classed a slander
Slander or defamation is where someone says something about you which is untrue. If what he is saying to others is untrue then you would have a right to take action. If what he is saying is true then you don't.
Happy to discuss further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He has added a lot to it and a lot of what he has told people is untrue about my crime. Where do I stand in that situation. When he first done it I ignored it but I am hearing about him more often. I was going to write a very polite letter to him but wanted to know how I stand with this too
Thank you
If what he says is untrue then you are justified in writing to him or having your solicitor do so.
JGM and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you