How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7676
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I was married to fillippen women in March 2010. She got her

This answer was rated:

I was married to fillippen women in March 2010. She got her citizenship on 9 January this year.Plus her British Passport. Within 2 months she wanted a divorce which is being processed at the this time. I feel that this may have been an arranged scam from off set.
As she is wanting me to sell house and trying to get all the money she can.
If it is proved this, is the case. Can she be deported back to Philippines
Thanks for your question.
Obviously the timing is suspicious, do you have any doucmentary evidence that she considered your marriage to be a sham marriage or marriage of convenience?
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Thomas

She did not dipute that it was a scam on divorce petition. The only document other, than petition, is the marriage certificate.

Could you confirm if there is time scale, that she would be allowed to stay in this country as the marriage was only last 4 years

kind regards


Hi Ian,
Drafting your answer now. 5 mins please.
Kind regards,
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
Action to revoke citizenship/ILR and to deport may only be taken by the home office. It is extremely hard to get them to do this because it is expensive and they will generally only do so where they have incontrovertible evidence that citizenship was obtained by deception. Most commonly this involves fraudulent documentation.
They have to be absolutely 100% certain of their case before they take action because it’s spending on public money.
All you can do is write to them verifying your identity and giving the timeline of your case and the suspicious timing of the breakdown of your marriage. You should state that you did not know at the time but you believe that your wife was treating the marriage as a sham marriage from the start.
If you want them to consider revoking citizenship then you should state that you will support any action that they will take and provide full contact details so that they can easily contact you if they take any action.
This is all that you can do. No UK citizen has the right to demand revocation of another’s citizenship but you can request that the home office considers it.
I would caution that if you do this and she becomes aware that you have tried but that they did nothing then this could impact her behaviour which could indirectly increase the acrimony that there is between you.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you