How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi, I would like to clarify whether my father is a British

This answer was rated:

I would like to clarify whether my father is a British citizen and whether I, in turn, have a claim to British citizenship by descent.
My father was born in the then British/Crown colony of Hong Kong in 1955. Both of his parents had been naturalised as citizens of the United Kingdom and Colonies under the British Nationality Act 1948 and were married prior to his birth.
My father and my grandparents relocated to Australia in or around May 1956. They all travelled on British passports (with my father travelling on my grandmother's British passport). In November 1968, they were each registered as Australian citizens (I believe they did so with the understanding that this would not affect their CUKC status).
I was born in New Zealand and am an Australian citizen, but would like to clarify my father's position, and also find out whether I have a claim to British citizenship/am eligible for a British passport.
Thank you for your assistance.
From the information you have given, it would appear that your father has a a claim to British Citizenship but you do not as your father was not born in the UK and I assume that your mother was not born in the UK as well.
You are eligible to apply for a UK Ancestry visa which will allow you to live and work in the UK and after 5 years on this visa, you may apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK.
See here for information on the Ancestry visa
May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

Please leave a review