How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12081
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I am british expat from Scotland working in Saudi Arabia. In

This answer was rated:

I am british expat from Scotland working in Saudi Arabia. In 2009 I married a Filipina in Philippines. Marriage broke down in 2013 no children. divorce over there not possible only annulment and very difficult plus my wife would not agree. No contact since July 2013.
Can I get divorce in UK (Scotland) and when could this happen and what conditions would I have to do.
You can't get a divorce in Scotland unless you are domiciled or habitually resident in Scotland and have resided in Scotland for 40 days prior to the raising of the action.
So Scotland is no use to you u less or until you come back to live here, I'm afraid.
JGM and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I own a property in Scotland and assuming I return there for 40 days prior to raising action when is earliest I can raise action, could it be two years after last contact? Could I return for 40 days raise the action then return overseas to work?

If our wife doesn't consent to the action you would have to wait until you were separate for two years, yes.
Where you live after the action is raised doesn't matter. As long as you have your domicile in Scotland and live ther for 40 days before you raise the action, the Scottish court has jurisdiction.
Assuming you have no children with your wife you can raise a simplified procedure divorce. You can get the form at