How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Good morning! I'm Russian, soon is my wedding with British

This answer was rated:

Good morning! I'm Russian, soon is my wedding with British citizen, so I have some questions: when I can become a resident of UK? A сitizen of UK? What will happen if we'll divorce before I become a citizen (should I go to motherland or can stay in England single?) We're going to get married in Russia, then apply for 'wife visa' and move to England ASAp.
For how many years I must stay in England to become a citizen? And how many days in a year I can spend abroad without loosing a right to request citizenship?
When can I take my daughter from previous marriage (5years old, Russian, I'm her only parent) to live with us in UK?
Best regards,
hi. Thanks for your question.
Do you and your fiance meet the financial requirements for a spouse visa?
Where is the father of the child and does he consent to this?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know exactly about financial requirements, think it must be not less then 18 000 a year... am I right?

My daughter has only one parent (me), instead of father's name in her documents is a line (the same as NA). So legally her father doesn't exist. In fact he also never took care about child, no money support, even didn't call last few years.

Thanks for your reply.
I am out for the evening now.
May I please answer at 9am bst tomorrow?
Kind regards,
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
You will need to apply for a spouses visa (ie. Settlement) if you are to come here to settle permanently. You need to apply at least four months before you plan to travel and you should instruct a solicitor based in the UK 5 months before you intend to travel.
The UKBA webpage on spouse visas is here:
The eligibility criteria is here:-
If the application is well prepared and you meet the following eligibility criteria then it will make the application easy and quick to decide upon for the UKBA. To be eligible, you must show:-
• you and your partner are both aged 18 or over at the date of application;
• your partner is a British Citizen, or is present and settled in the UK, or is here with refugee leave or humanitarian protection;
• your partner is not related to you in a way that means you could not marry in UK law;
• you and your partner have met in person;
• your relationship with your partner is genuine and subsistingif you are married or in a civil partnership, your marriage or civil partnership is valid in UK law;
• if you are not married or in a civil partnership you have been living with your partner in a relationship akin to marriage or civil partnership for at least 2 years prior to the date of the application;
• you meet the suitability requirements
• any previous relationship has permanently broken down (this does not apply to certain polygamous relationships);
• you and your partner intend to live together permanently in the UK;
• You must meet the financial requirement:-
• This means that the UK based spouse must earn a minimum income threshold of £18,600. Alternatively, if you have savings of £62, 500.00 then you would not have to prove any salary. You can also use a mix of the two.
• You would also have to show that you meet the English language requirement:-

You have to produce to the UKBA documentation that proves the above. This would be some of the following:-
• Bank statements from both you and your spouse going back 6 months showing the income/capital you have available
• Payslips (6 month of) and a letter from your spouse’s employer stating that he has a permanent job, contract of employment
• Documentary evidence of any other assets you hold (eg. Shares, evidence of ISAs or bonds)
• Marriage certificate, Birth Certificate, passport
• Evidence of correspondence between you and your spouse showing that the relationship is credible and genuine (eg. Emails, letters, evidence of previous trips, photos showing you together, phone records
• Evidence of the accommodation where you will live or that you can afford to accommodate yourselves once here.
You will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form VAF4A Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website.
You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-
The visa will be granted for a period of 27 months. You will have to apply for further leave to remain at the end of this time. You can apply for indefinite leave to remain once he has been here for 5 years. After that you can apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen.
In order to naturalise you have to ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria on the following page:
You will note that your days outside the UK during the 3 years before you apply to naturalise must not exceed the following, you must have:-
• spent no more than 270 days outside the UK in those 3 years
• spent no more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 month
Once you are successful in naturalising you will received your Certificate of Naturalisation. You can then use this in order to apply for a UK passport.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Is there any further information you require?
I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm very sorry for being not online, unfortunately had no access to internet. Thanks for your answer, it's very useful and professional, but I already knew nearly everything about spouses visa (requirements

My question was more in general about main stages of receiving British passport and time it will take.

If I got u right there will be two main stages:

1) Spouses visa -27 months

2) Naturalization 3 years ( or 5?)

3) apply for a UK passport

So totally 5 (or 7years?) before apply for passport? Improve me if I'm wrong plz.

And what will happen if my husband (British citizen) will diverse me before I will become a citizen myself? If the diverse will happen at the stage of naturalization, for example, is it a must for me to go back to motherland or I can stay in England single and continue my naturalization alone?

I ask about it as my fiance is such a changeable person... I need to know what may happen, just in case.

Best regards,

sincerely ***** *****

Hi Maria,
The timeline to naturalise is as follows:-
1. Intial spouse visa - 27 month, then
2. Extension of spouse visa - 36 months, then
3. Application for ILR
4. Then apply for naturalisation immediately (provided you are still married to your UK spouse, otherwise you will have to wait another 12 months before you apply for ILR)
So, 5 years in total.
If you divorce before you obtain ILR then you would have to switch to another category of visa.
If you divorce after you have obtained ILR then you can remain in the UK but you would have to wait 12 months from the date you obtained ILR before applying for naturalisation.
Once you have citizenship or ILR you status in this country is not at risk even if you divorce.
Kind regards
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you