How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7661
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Hi there, My friend from Trinidad and Tobago was just granted

Customer Question

Hi there,
My friend from Trinidad and Tobago was just granted her settlement visa a few days ago, only set back is passport will expire in 5 months time.. Will that effect her stay if she leaves for london next week?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
No, she should be okay.
They might note the expiry of the passport when she enters, but she should just explain that she will apply for a new passport and then apply for a transfer of conditions.
A transfer of conditions is where a person has a new passport but with leave to remain stamped in the old pass. You apply to the home office for the transfer of conditions from your old passport to your new passport, so that the new passport is returned with the leave to remain stamped in it.
Provided she applies for her new passport in the UK in good time then she should be fine. Obviosuly, it would be sensible for her to attend a solicitor in the UK with her old passport and ask them to give her certified copies of her old passport if she is required to send her old passport off with her application for a new one, to prove her status in the UK.
When she applies for her new passport she should state that she requires the old one returned to her in order that she can apply to transfer her leave to remain to her new passport with the home office.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Is there any further information you require?
I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided.
Kind regards,