How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7672
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

hello, I have been working in the Netherlands for almost 3

This answer was rated:

hello, I have been working in the Netherlands for almost 3 years as a skilled migrant. I am an Australian citizen. My husband has dual UK and Aus citizenship. We want to move to the UK what do I need to do to be able to live and work in the UK?
Thanks for your question.
There is a financial requirement for a spouse visa. Do you have cash savings between you in excess of £62500.00?
Where is your husband? Does your husband work?
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Thomas,

we are both working in NL and will both work in the UK. We are applying for jobs now, the trick may be that I get my job before his. Are the cash savings 62.5K or 625k? we have 62.5k but not 625k.

Also do we have to maintain those cash savings for the entire time of our stay? can it be in an Aus account or does it need to be in a UK one? We have that sitting against our mortgage in a 100% offset account so I wouldn't want to move it from there.

Could you please send me a link to whatever form I need to fill out should I be succesful in securing a job?



Hi Leanna,
Thanks for your reply.
Drafting your answer now.
Kind regards,
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
You will need to apply for a spouse visa (ie. Settlement) if you are to come here to settle permanently.
The UKBA webpage on spouse visas is here:
The eligibility criteria is here:-
If the application is well prepared and you meet the following eligibility criteria then it will make the application easy and quick to decide upon for the UKBA. To be eligible, you must show:-
• you and your partner are both aged 18 or over at the date of application;
• your partner is a British Citizen, or is present and settled in the UK, or is here with refugee leave or humanitarian protection;
• your partner is not related to you in a way that means you could not marry in UK law;
• you and your partner have met in person;
• your relationship with your partner is genuine and subsistingif you are married or in a civil partnership, your marriage or civil partnership is valid in UK law;
• if you are not married or in a civil partnership you have been living with your partner in a relationship akin to marriage or civil partnership for at least 2 years prior to the date of the application;
• you meet the suitability requirements
• any previous relationship has permanently broken down (this does not apply to certain polygamous relationships);
• you and your partner intend to live together permanently in the UK;
• You must meet the financial requirement:-
• This means that the UK based spouse must earn a minimum income threshold of £18,600. Alternatively, if you have savings of £62, 500.00 then you would not have to prove any salary. You can also use a mix of the two.
• You would also have to show that you meet the English language requirement:-

You have to produce to the UKBA documentation that proves the above. This would be some of the following:-
• Bank statements from both you and your spouse going back 6 months showing the income/capital you have available
• Payslips (6 month of) and a letter from your employer stating that you have a permanent job, contract of employment
• Documentary evidence of any other assets you hold (eg. Shares, evidence of ISAs or bonds)
• Marriage certificate, Birth Certificate, passport
• Evidence of correspondence between you and your spouse showing that the relationship is credible and genuine (eg. Emails, letters, evidence of previous trips, photos showing you together, phone records
• Evidence of the accommodation where you will live or that you can afford to accommodate yourselves once here.
Unfortunately, you cannot come to the UK before your husband because your spouse visa is based on the fact that your husband will be returning the Uk in order to remain here permanently.
You will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form VAF4A Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website.
You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you