How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7672
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I have ILR via marriage route, but unfortunately I have been

This answer was rated:

I have ILR via marriage route, but unfortunately I have been separated from 6 months ago, and I will complete three years of staying here in the UK next week, so can I apply for citizenship by marriage route? and the separation is informal but I am receiving all benefit as I am a single dad, like housing benefit, income support, and tax credit.

Thanks for your question.
I assume that your spouse is a UK citizen.
It depends on whether your spouse is willing to support your application or not by saying that you are still married and still in a relationship.
If they are willing to support your application then you can apply, but you should only do so if you consider that this potentially only a temporary separation.
If your spouse is not willing to support your application then you will have to wait a further two years until you reach 5 years residence in the U K and meet the standard residential requirements for naturalisation:
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for replying, I think that she will help me with the documents I need from her, but we are now separated and I think the separation will be permanent, but to live together again is not impossible. so do you think I can apply? and what happened if the application is refused I can apply again after 2 years?


Frankly, if you are going to remain in the UK for the two years after you reach three years then I would just wait and apply then, if you a certain that you will not get back together.
If they became aware that the relationship had broken down then they could regard it as deception, which could potentially cause big problems for you
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you