How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7676
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Hi Thomas,my sister in law and her husband have been living

This answer was rated:

Hi Thomas,my sister in law and her husband have been living in the uk for the past 6 months,3 months ago she had a baby and he is regestered here in the uk,my sister in law has a romanian passport and her husband a bulgarian passport,is the baby entitled to a uk passport?
Thanks for your question.
Do either of the child's parents hold Permanent Residence?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No they do not

I am now out of the office for the evening. May i please reply in full tomorrow at 9 a.m.?
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes no problem

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
I’m afraid that the child will not yet be entitled to UK citizenship. This is because in order for the child of EEA citizens who is born in the UK to be automatically a UK citizen then parents must have been in the UK exercising treaty rights for 5 years.
Therefore, at the moment the child does not qualify.
However, once the parents have been in the UK for 5 year exercising their EEA treaty rights (eg by working or studying or being self-sufficient) then they can apply to register their child as a UK citizen. They would have to do this by submitting form MN1:-
Before they submit the above application they should apply for Permanent Residence:-
You will see this confirmed at the bottom of the above link.
Once the child has been registered as a UK citizen they can apply for a UK passport for the child.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you