How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7675
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Hi, I am john. I got my indefinite leave to remain last year

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am john. I got my indefinite leave to remain last year October as a spouse of who also has an indefinite leave to remain. Partner was recently denied citizenship of the ground that she has not met the requirement of 5 years residence and. Was adviced to reapply in august 2015. I have lived here in the uk for 5 years now. Now my inquiry: can I apply for my citizenship on the ground that I have lived here for 5 years?
Hi John,
Thanks for your question.
During the 5 years have you had continuous legal leave to remain in the UK (ie. continuous visas with no gaps)?
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If you have continuous visas then you can still apply for naturalisation because the fact that your partner has been rejected does not make a difference to your application.
So, provided that you meet the requirements for naturalisation on the following page then you can apply:-
In particular you should note the days outside the UK requirement, but your partner’s rejection does not make a difference to your application and you are free to apply 12 months after the date you received ILR.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. So you mean I can apply for naturalisation on my own and not as a spouse to my partner?
Correct. Provided that you meet the requirements in the link I posted in my previous reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Let me take you through my situation. I came to the uk on student visa in September 2009 and I got married to my wife in 2011 during which I still had a student visa. I now applied for the two years leave as a spouse and was granted. And then my ILR was given last year. It is now a year since I was given my ILR and it is now 5 years that I have stayed in the uk. I meet all the requirements of establishing residence in the link you sent to me. So you think I can now apply on my own yea?
Yes, I think you can apply provided that 12 months has passed since you obtained ILR and provided that:
-you’re 18 or over
- you’re of sound mind
- you’re of good character
- you’ll continue to live in the UK
- you have met the knowledge of English and life in the UK requirements
If you do then you can certainly apply.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi tom, thank you. That was very satisfactory. I will leave an excellent feedback for you.
You're welcome.
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you