How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7663
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Hi, a friend of mine overstayed in uk for years but left volunteerly

This answer was rated:

Hi, a friend of mine overstayed in uk for years but left volunteerly and brought her own ticket. She was given a letter by while leaving uk. Now 4 years gone pass, would she able to apply for a visitor visa to come back to uk?
Thanks for your question.
It is likely that she probably received an entry ban of 1 year from the date that she left. The letter that she received should state the ban that she got, but i would probably expect it to be the one year or possibly to.
Even though the length of the re entry ban has now passed it is still going to be very difficult for her to obtain a visa unfortunately. This is because although the entry ban has finished and the home office will therefore not reject a visa application that she makes immediately but they are still entitled to take into account the fact that she has reached the immigration rule by overstaying.
To be quite honest she can certainly expect the application to be rejected and the appeal rights for a visitors visa will be limited to only wherehuman rights grounds apply. If she is applying for a visitors visa then human rights will not apply and so therefore she will not be able to appeal.
The only visa that she might be able to get his if she were in a relationship with someone who has leave to remain here so that she could argue her right to a family and private life under human rights law or if she had a child here.
I am really sorry.
Kind regards.
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you