How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hello, I have a question regarding naturalising as a British

This answer was rated:

I have a question regarding naturalising as a British Citizen being an EU Country National (Romania). I have been living in the UK for more than 6 years now (since 2008) studying full time and I would like to apply for British Citizenship. In the requirements list it says that I must have been living here for 5 years plus 1 year as a permanent resident. However, I have not applied for the permanent residency after the 5 years period because I thought that the residency will be automatically changed after this period of time and I don't have to apply for it. Could you please confirm if my last year of living in UK counts as "permanent residency" and that I am eligible to apply for naturalization? Thank you very much and I look forward to your reply.
Kind Regards

Yes, you are correct. Permanent Residency is obtained automatically after living in the UK for 5 years and provided you exercised treaty rights in the 5 year period.

In your case, the last year in the UK would have been as a permanent resident as you have been studying throughout and therefore exercising treaty rights.

May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would my permanent residency status be broken if I had suspended my studies for two months due to health reasons?

Thank you for the quick reply.

No, your permanent residency is not broken as there is no requirement for you to even study at all once you become a permanent resident.

You only lose PR if you leave the UK for 2 years or longer at a time.

All the best, ***** ***** feedback
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you recommend using the Nationality Checking System for the naturalisation application? Also, how long does it take on average to finish the process of naturalising? Thank you very much.

Your original questions have been answered. Please leave feedback