How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi, I have been looking after my brother for his whole life,

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have been looking after my brother for his whole life, currently 8 years old ( born in London ) and I tried to get him a british passport as i have one but was rejected as his birth mom is not british. How do i change his nationality from st. lucian to British?

How did you get British citizenship and what is the nationality of your parents? Are your parents married? Do either of them have indefinite leave to remain in the UK?

Does your brother already have a St Lucian passport?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I got British citizenship in approx 2008 was previously st.lucian too. My brother and i are only linked via mother who is st.lucian and gave me parental responsibility for him from birth.( different dad who is currently unknown and not on his birth certificate)my mother lives in st.lucia and does not have indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

Thank you.

You may apply for your brother to be registered as a British Citizen once he turns 10 years and provided that he has lived in the UK until he turns 10 and has not travelled outside the UK for more than 3 months in any year.

The application will need to be made online using this link:

If your brother is 8 years old currently, you need to wait for another 2 years before he will be entitled to be registered as a British Citizen.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


i took a 4 month family reuion holiday with the kids earlier this year. will this affect application?

he is also registered disabled. (does this make any difference. or if i was to adopt him would he automatically qualify british

No it will not affect the application as there is discretion allowed where the 3 months limit per year has gone slightly more as in your case.

All the best, ***** ***** feedback
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you