How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7672
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I am researching into my Moroccan friend coming to stay with

This answer was rated:

I am researching into my Moroccan friend coming to stay with me in Scotland for a long term stay. I have been on the UK government web site but find it all very complicated. Can you advise me of the best route to take as I did not realise how difficult immigration for foreigners has become now. I am a Uk resident in full time employment and have my own accommodation so would be able to support my friend.
Thanks for your question.
Would your friend wish to stay here permanently?
What would they do? Work? Study?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tom,

In answer to your question, yes my friend would like to stay permanently and work but I know this could be tricky as I know the UK government want skilled workers. My friend can speak Arabic and French fluently, Spanish and English also but not as fluent as the first two languages.

My friends job in Morocco is as a hotel restaurant manager and has a Diploma in Tourism if that helps.

I do realise that to stay long term and work may not be possible because of the new government rules, so just need to know best options of visa.


Tracy Bartlett

Hi Tracy
I will be able to answer at 9am.
Kind regards
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If your friend wishes to work in the UK and is not in a relationship with any UK citizen, foreign national holding ILR in the UK or EEA citizen then the options are limited.
I presume that your friend does not have access to £200, 000.00 for the purpose of investing in a UK business and so does not therefore qualify for a Tier 1 Entrepreneur Visa.
This means that he would be looking at applying under the Tier 2 Sponsored Skilled Workers Visa provisions. You will have to see if there is a job that he could do in the UK on the shortage occupation list:-
If a job that he could do is not on this list then this means that the employer would have to apply to become a licensed sponsor of skilled migrants and also confirm to the home office that they have carried out a the Resident Labour Market Test. This test is effectively to show that their are no resident/eea national in the locality that can perform the role,.
He would have to then secure a job offer from a UK employer who is or would become a licensed sponsor of skilled migrants:-
If this visa is not a possibility because it process too difficult for him to get then he is stuck with applying for visitor’s visas, which he is not permitted to work on unfortunately.
Regrettably, there is no option for you to sponsor them as a friend in order to come to the UK and work.
I am sorry that I could not have better news for you.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you