How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My husband and I recently obtained ILR (5 years Tier 2 visa)

This answer was rated:

My husband and I recently obtained ILR (5 years Tier 2 visa) and then applied for our child to Register as British. Home Office said 6-8 months wait so, as my son still had his PBS Dependant visa with a few years validity left, we went ahead and made plans to travel.
Now his British Citizenship has been granted much earlier than advised but we don't have time for him to apply for a British passport.
Can he travel on his PBS Dependant visa?
Yes, he may travel using the PBS dependant visa but I would advise you to carry a copy of his British Citizenship registration certificate to prove his British citizenship when coming back to the UK in case you are asked about this at the UK border.
May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had hoped for a more detailed response - perhaps including relevant Home Office Guidance or legal reference to the validity of someone's leave to remain once they'd been granted British citizenship

A British Citizen is not subject to UK immigration control so technically the limited leave to remain becomes invalid. However, for practical purposes, there is no UK rule which says you cannot travel on limited leave to remain in and out of the UK once you have British Citizenship.

Hope this clarifies