How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi Howard, my name is***** to give you my background

This answer was rated:

Hi Howard, my name is***** to give you my background before asking my question. I am a British citizen and own a British passport through naturalisation since 1995 or thereabout. I am a qualified nurse living and working in the UK with my british wife and 8 daughters all born in the UK. I came to the uk in September 1988.
My question is, I have 2 children out of wedlock living in nigeria with their natural mother they are aged 1 and 2 years. I want to bring them to the uk permanently. With or without their mother. How do I go about.
I am not sure if I need to apply for citizenship firstly by registering their birth in Nigeria with the british high commission then applying for their British passports or
to bring them here as visitors including their mother a nigerIan and then follow the process over here in trying to apply for their permanent stay here.
l am not married to their mother. And if needs be, I am willing to divorce from my wife so as to facilitate my intention of having my children with me here in the UK.
Thanking you in anticipation.
Hello Peter,

Your children aged 1 and 2 years are automatically British Citizens by descent from you as you are a British Citizen otherwise than by descent and assuming that your children were born in Nigeria.

All you need to do is apply for their British Passports, it is not mandatory to register their births with the British High Commission in Nigeria.

Their mother will need to apply for a visitor visa if she intends to visit the UK.

May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi JA,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

From your answer, am I safe to assume that I can use their Nigerian birth certificate to apply for their British passports say online while I am here in the uk? What other requirements would I need?

Are there any additional forms I need to fill in. If so, could you direct me to the right forms or websites please.

Also, will I need to verify my paternity before I can apply for their passports?

In completing the passport application forms, I will need a referee, can I use a sworn affidavits/oats in court for this process or I will have to use a professional person that can verify that he/she has seen them and can attest that they are mine.

Finally, what's are the cost for the forms needed.

Thanking you in anticipation.