How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7677
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

Hi , I am on a tier 2 visa in the UK Can i change employer

This answer was rated:

Hi , I am on a tier 2 visa in the UK Can i change employer and still qualify for residency after 5 years? ie if i change employer do i start the clock again for permanent residency

Thanks for your question.
Would your new employer sponsor you under your tier 2 visa?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Thanks for your patience. I will answer at 9am.
Kind regards
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
Provided that your new employer will sponsor you for Tier 2 purpose and you still meet the eligibility critieria then you will still be able to apply for ILR after 5 years.
However, you will obviously have to apply to switch sponsor to your new employer but if you do this and it is approved then your residency period is maintain and you can apply for ILR after 5 years since you arrived and started working on your original tier 2 general sponsored visa.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you