How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7673
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I need to send my wifes old expired indian passport to india

This answer was rated:

I need to send my wifes old expired indian passport to india as its got the indefinate leave stamp on it to return to the uk....she has gone india only with the latest indian passport and it hasnt got any stamp on there to say she is a uk resident....can i send the old passport with a friend who is going tomorrow so he can give to my wife?
Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
Yes, you can probably do this but it is at your own risk. If your friend loses the passport then you would be in a really difficult position. I would probably prefer to courier it personally but it is your/your wife’s decision
I would suggest that you attend a local solicitor’s office today and ask them to provide you with a full certified copy of the passport, so at lease you have some helpful alternative proof of her ILR if the worst happens and it does get lost.
Provided that your wife travels back with both of her passports (the old one with ILR and the new one) then she should be fine, although there is a possibility that she may face some questioning upon her return provided that she explains that she has simply not applied for a transfer of conditions to transfer the ILR from the old passport to a biometic resident permit I would expect her to be fine.
I would transfer to a BRP once she gets back though to avoid this in the future.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My concern was for my friend who would take the it legal to carry an expired passport for someone...its purely for the purpose of showing the indefinate leave stamp to return to the uk....i dont want him to face any problems or get into unnecessary trouble

I think technically it would be illegal if they person did not have the passport holder's authority to carry it across borders.
The safest thing to do would be to arrange a courier from you to your wife after your wife had asked you to send it to her. This woudl separate your friend from the issue.
If your friend takes the passport then he would have to take express written authority from your wife which is going to be very difficlut given that she is out of the country and that you are travelling so soon.
I would go with a professional courier company instead.
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What if the passport was put in the suitcase?

It's still the same problem, if they found it then he would have to show authority which is satisfactory to them. It's a precarious position for him to be in really.
I would go with a courier certainly instead.
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you