How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I wish to get a visa for my boyfriend but he lives in the

This answer was rated:

I wish to get a visa for my boyfriend but he lives in the phillipines
Thanks for your question.
What nationality are you?
Is your boyfriend a Phillipine citizen?
What type of visa do you wish for him to get?
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am uk yes he is phillipino

What type of visa do you wish for him to get?
Kind regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I want him to get full citizenship so we can get married or have a cival partnership I would like to know if it will cost lots of money to get either one or can he just get a holiday visa for 3months so at least we can be together

There is a financial require for the type of visa that you seek.
Do you earn more than £18600 per annum from salaried employment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I do

Drafting your answer now. 5 mins please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thankyou Thomas

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If the plan is to settle in England once you are married then he will need to apply for settlement.
There are two ways of doing it. It is not absolutely necessary for you to go there to marry in order to get her a visa to come here. You can apply for a fiance visa so that she can come here specifically for the purpose of marrying. Once married you would then have to apply for a spouses visa (settlement – Further Leave To Remain). Two applications, two application fees.
Alternatively, You can either marry in the US (before you leave for the UK) and then apply directly for a spouses visa at the UK embassy there; Once application, one application fee.
There is a slightly larger amount of documents to submit for a fiancé visa because you have to show that you intend to marry once she arrive here.
The eligibility criteria is largely similar for both applications. The advantage is that if your fiance visa is refused then you are not married. If you marry and you spouses visa application is refused initially and then on appeal then you are stuck being married but in different countries.
Here is the criteria you would need to fulfill for a fiance visa, as I say the criteria is largely the same for a spouses visa. If you meet this you will almost certainly not be refused a spouses visa:-
• You plan to marry within 6 months of her arriving here
• You plan to live permanently together here
• You have met each other
• You can support each other without the need for public funds
• You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds
• Meet the financial requirement (salary threshold):
& here:
You have to produce to the UKBA documentation that proves the above. This would be some of the following:-
• If you are to apply for a fiancé visa you will have to show evidence of your intention to marry, so things like purchase of a ring, evidence of having met (photos correspondence etc), booking of a wedding venue, evidence of invites etc.
• Bank statements from both you and your fiance going back 6 months showing the income/capital you have available
• Payslips (6 month of) and a letter from your employer stating that you have a permanent job, contract of employment
• Documentary evidence of any other assets you hold (eg. Shares, evidence of ISAs or bonds)
• Marriage certificate, Birth Certificate, passport
• Evidence of correspondence between you and your fiance showing that the relationship is credible and genuine (eg. Emails, letters, evidence of previous trips, photos showing you together, phone records
• Evidence of the accommodation where you will live (ie. land registry officials copies of the property that you own, mortgage documentation, copy tenancy agreement if you rent, council tax statements, house report by a solicitor, letter from landlord confirm he is happy to give you a further tenancy agreement
• You should also include job adverts showing jobs available that you could do when you come here and show, via your CV, that you have the qualifications and work experience that you would be a viable candidate for those roles
He will also have to pass an Englsh Language test:-
The application will have to be supported by evidence proving the above eligibility criteria. They key to a successful application is producing well-collated documentary evidence for the above criteria. You will also have to produce statements made by both of you explaining and supporting how you meet the eligibility criteria.
You will need to apply for fiance/spouses visa using form VAF4 which is available for the home office website but he in practice he will apply online.
Generally, I’ve found that persons considering applying for fiancé/spouse visa are surprised by the documentary requirements and complicated nature of the application preparation.
You should consider instructing a immigration solicitor based here in the UK to prepare an application for her (whichever way you decide to do it). You can find local solicitors via:-
It should cost around £800-1400+ VAT to instruct a solicitor to do this for you. It will save you money in the long run, in all probability.
The fee at the moment is for actually making the application about £1000.00.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you