How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7673
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

I just would like to know my kids can apply

This answer was rated:

I just would like to know my kids can apply passport as we got permenant residence (indefinite leave to remain) on 2013.thanks

Thanks question.
Where and when were your children born please?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
2007,2009 and 2014 all were born in uk.thanks

Thank you question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If you have PR then you are regarded as being “settled” purpose of the British Nationality Act, which is the legislation which determines whether or not a person is a UK citizen.
Please refer to section 1(3) of the act here:-
You will see in this section that a child who is born in the UK who is not automatically a UK citizen at birth is entitled to be registered as a UK citizen if either of their parents become “settled” in the UK. So, if you obtained PR after their birth then you would be able to register them as UK citizen. If you obtained PR before their birth then under s1(1) you would be able to apply passports straight away rather than registering first.
If you got PR after your children were born then you would have to register them by applying with form MN1. You can do this provided that the children are under 18 at the time of their birth:-
Good luck.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,

Is there any further information you require?
I just want to ensure that you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any further queries on the information I have provided.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you