How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7882
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

! My name is***** wanted to find out if I can get married

This answer was rated:

! My name is***** wanted to find out if I can get married with an expired visa, as I am here on Tier 4, which is expiring in two boyfriend is currently not in the UK and will be back just a couple of days before my visa expires...
And can I apply visa form inside the UK?
Thank you in advance,
Thank you question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
The ability to marry is no longer linked to a person’s immigration status any longer. The fact that your visa may have expired by the time you propose to marry should not prevent the registrar from marring you because that would be contrary to human rights.
You should be able to marry provided that you can prove your identities and addresses and give the appropriate notice of your marriage.
However, you cannot apply fiancé visa from within the UK (even if you had leave to remain at the date you applied), because these can only be applied outside the UK.
Obviously, a further consideration is that you will be required to submit your passport etc with any application that you make and you will need that in order to prove your identity to get married.
If you retain your passport and marry whilst your leave to remain expires then unfortunately the home office would require you to make your spouse visa application (assuming you meet the eligibility critieria) from your home country.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks a lot answer Tom!

You helped me a lot!

Thank you