How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I want to apply citizenship. I currently hold an

Customer Question

I want to apply citizenship. I currently hold an indefinite leave to remain. I and my husband are currently separated. Esirbot. Can I apply on my own?

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
What is your husband's nationality and when did you obtain indefinite leave to remain? How long have you lived in the UK?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is British. I have lived in the UK since July 2010. Although we got married in September 2011. I obtained my indefinite leave to remain in March 2014.

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.
You may apply Citizenship straight away on the basis of being married to your husband. It does not matter that you are not living together anymore, the fact that you are not divorced means you are still legally married to him and eligible to apply Citizenship straight away.
However, you will need to provide a copy of his British passport and your marriage certificate.
If you do not wish to apply without naming him, you may do so on the 5th anniversary of when you first came to the UK in July 2010.
Hope this helps