How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 7661
Experience:  UK Lawyer holding practising certficate for England & Wales.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now

My friend who comes from Maritous came to UK 18 years ago on

This answer was rated:

My friend who comes from Maritous came to UK 18 years ago on a 6 months visitors visa.
She has continiusely has stayed in UK without renewing her visa ,how can she get a permininant residency or something similar so she can get a passport ,she has worked in UK and has paid taxes and national insurance least 10 years ,she is 38 years now
Thanks question.
Is your friend a Mauritian citizen?
Is she in a relationship with anyone and, if so, what is their
immigration status in the UK
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Tom
Yes she is Mauritian
She has been in relationship few months with a British citizen

Thank you question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.
If a person has been in the UK illegally years and can prove this with documentary evidence then they can apply leave to remain. Therefore, if she can remain the UK 2 years presumably she could apply and should be mindful to collect documentary eviedence purpose.
It’s a difficult application and she should instruct a solicitor to prepare the application/evidence .
Once she has ILR she will have to remain in the UK further 5 years before becoming eligible as a UK citizen:
Obviously, if she is detained in the meantime then she could risk being deported and if she were before she reached the 20 years then she would be stuck, unless she and her UK citizen boyfriend were to marry and then apply spouse visa.
My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.
Kind regards,
Thomas and other Immigration Law Specialists are ready to help you