How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

,My wife and I want to move to the UK. She's British and

Customer Question

My wife and I want to move to the UK. She's British and I'm American. We've been together over 5 years and married for 1 1/2 years.
I am applying to start a teacher training program there in September 2015.
I don't know if I should try to get a spousal visa or a student visa. From what I can see there is an ILR visa but that seems to require that the British citizen who is your partner is already residing in the UK. We've been living together in the US for 4 years.
What visa should I get?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
You cannot apply for ILR anymore, that is out of the question.
You may apply for a student visa first to do your course and if you both wish to continue living in the UK, you may apply to switch into a spouse visa from the UK later on.
Hope this helps